Hosting advantages and disadvantages
Hosting is a service for placing resources on the network, maintaining their performance. It is necessary to choose hosting services in accordance with the needs of the Internet project and your capabilities.
Thanks to hosting, management is carried out remotely by means of special software. Provider companies perform maintenance, ensure the functioning of sites, and protect against viruses. Such services are necessary even for one-page web resources, visit sites.
Usually providers offer several types of hosting to choose from, which differ in characteristics and cost. The customer should select services taking into account the task at hand, the size of the site, the required RAM, and computing power.
The following varieties are often used:
- virtual hosting;
- cloud server;
- virtual (VPS) server;
- dedicated server;
Virtual hosting is considered the most affordable. Its cost is quite low and no special knowledge is required from the customer. The hosting provider manages the hosting. All sites use common server capacities for work. The client has to share the allocated space with other customers. Disk space, memory, processing power are shared.
- cheap price;
- no special knowledge is required for work;
- the server is managed by the service provider.
- the possibility of slowing down the work, loading the site due to the traffic of other projects;
- failures due to the fault of a neighboring web resource;
- restrictions in the configuration;
- insufficient level of security;
- common IP address for a large number of sites. If one web resource has problems, the search engines will ban others as well;
- performance may be poor.
A virtual server obtained using VPS technology imitates a physical one. He has maximum privileges. Server resources for the customer are guaranteed. They are provided at the selected rate.
The tenant gets root access. He is given the opportunity to change software, OS, create accounts with the allocation of available resources. RAM, processing power are fixed, independent of the current load.
- optimal ratio: quality / cost;
- guaranteed resources;
- good performance;
- you can link other domains;
- the ability to customize the desired OS;
- autonomy of work.
Disadvantages include administrative skills that not everyone possesses.
By renting a dedicated server, the customer pays for the use of a physical server machine. The cost of a dedicated server is quite high. All capacities work only with client resources.